Tops tips for upgrading to Windows 10
The deadline is the 29th of July 2016. After this date, Microsoft will charge for upgrading to Windows 10.
Before you go ahead and update your PC, there are some steps you need to take and things you need to be aware of:
1. Windows 10 is available as a free upgrade for compatible devices that are running genuine operating systems: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1 Update. To check if your device is compatible, please follow this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/which-operating-system
2. It is recommend that you read the ‘Important Notes’ section on the following page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/Windows-10-specifications
We would like to highlight some points we consider particularly important:
Some third party applications are not compatible with Windows 10.
It is important to run the “Get Windows 10” app to check if your programs are compatible. If you choose to accept the upgrade and some applications are not compatible, these applications will be removed.
The “Get Windows 10 app” should appear automatically on your machine if it is eligible for upgrade. It shows up as an extra icon in the bottom right hand corner near the date and time:
Anglia IT’s Managed Anti-Virus is compatible with Windows 10. If you are running any other Anti-Virus software please check its compatibility in the “Get Windows 10” app, additionally read the ‘Important Notes’ section.
Your computer should meet Microsoft’s minimum hardware requirements. They are listed on the “Windows 10 Specifications” page referred to above.
3. It is important to remember that teething issues are expected when changing anything about your PC. So please avoid doing an upgrade during a business critical time, such as year-end or pay day!
4. Let us know when you plan to do the upgrade, so we know to expect your call should there be any issues.
5. After you have checked your PC compatibility, Anglia IT will be here to help if you experience any issues updating.
6. Remember to back up the documents on your PC beforehand.
7. If you have automatic updates from Windows Update turned on, Microsoft may be forcing this update, so please do not put off checking your compatibility.
8. Have a read through the ‘Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ’ before you upgrade, so you know what to expect: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq
10. And finally… enjoy your free Windows 10 update successfully! You can start your upgrade by right clicking on the “Get Windows 10 App” and clicking “Get Windows 10”